Wednesday, August 17, 2011

DVD REVIEW --- "Dylan Dog: Dead of Night"

I remember seeing preview trailers for this film and thought it looked like fun.  I also thought it would be interesting to see Brandon Routh getting out from under the trainwreck that was "Superman Returns".  I am not at all familiar with the comic book source material, so I am judging the film solely on its merits as a movie and not an adaptation.  I had my calendar marked to see it in the theater.  Unfortunately I was not able to make it opening weekend.  This movie bombed so bad, I don't think it was in theaters a second week.  It is listed as one of the biggest flops of 2011.  It grossed only $4 million worldwide, with a budget near $20 million.

I am telling you all of this before I continue for a simple reason.  Sometimes, it is best to not judge a book by its cover.  I rented this movie, expecting a fun B-movie that would hopefully have some decent action, some humor, and just generally provide some mindless entertainment for a couple hours.  Go into watching this movie with those kind of expectations, and you will be thoroughly entertained.  This is a fun, silly movie.  It never feels like they are trying to take themselves too seriously with this and neither should you.  Just sit back, grab some popcorn, and have fun with this.

Brandon Routh does a fine job playing the lead character.  The movie takes place in New Orleans, the apparent mecca for the undead just looking to find some place they can quietly live out their unnatural lives.  In this world, one man - a pulse pounding human - has been appointed to oversee criminal matters of the underworld as an impartial investigator.  This job belongs to Dylan Dog. 

The movie plays out as a loose mystery taking in plenty of action and comedy along the way.  It is predictable and yet, it is entertaining enough that you don't mind.  While I doubt there will be a big screen Dylan Dog 2, it would not surprise me to see it happen as a direct to DVD project.  As long as Routh returns as the hero, that would be just fine with me.

Give this movie a try.  It will surprise you.

3 out of 4 Stars

John M. Dunlap
The Hollywood Outsiders




No comments:

Post a Comment